I’ve continued my smoothie experiments post-vegan Lent (at least when I wake up early enough), occasionally switching up the kind of frozen fruit or greens I use. I’ve also begun soaking the chia seeds with a bit of water, which creates a clear jelly-like substance that can be added into the blender. (According to livestrong, however, chia seeds also can be eaten whole without soaking, so feel free to skip this step if you’re running short on time.) This smoothie, which includes frozen mango, is my favorite.
mango spinach banana chia smoothie
- 3/4 cup frozen mango
- 3/4 cup spinach
- 1/2 cup almond or coconut milk
- 1 banana, sliced
- 2 tablespoon chia seeds (soaked in water for at least 10 minutes)
- Garnish with fruit, if desired (I used a strawberry)
1. Place the mango, spinach, banana, milk and soaked chia seeds in the blender. Blend until smoothie reaches desired consistency.
2. Garnish with a leaf and/or piece of fruit.
Soundtrack: The Wailin’ Jennys, Firecracker