Baby, it’s cold outside. That means it’s officially soup weather. This recipe for carrot ginger soup, adapted from The 30-Day Vegan Challenge, has plenty of veggies to keep you healthy and will warm you up on those chilly winter nights. The next time I make it, I plan to toast pumpkin seeds to sprinkle on top.
Carrot Ginger Soup, adapted from The 30-Day Vegan Challenge
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of water for sautéing
- 1 large or 2 small yellow onions, coarsely chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 7 carrots, peeled and sliced into rounds
- 2 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into eighths
- 3 teaspoons finely chopped ginger
- 4-5 cups vegetable stock
- Garlic powder to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Sea salt to taste
1. Heat the olive oil and water in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté until the onions are translucent, about five minutes. Add small amounts of stock or water if the pan gets too dry. Add the carrots, potatoes, ginger, pepper, salt, garlic powder and enough stock and/or water to cover the vegetables, about 4-5 cups.
2. Reduce heat to medium and cook until the carrots and potatoes are soft and easily pierced with a fork. Remove pan from the heat and use an immersion blender or food processor to puree the soup until it is creamy. Add salt, pepper and garlic powder as needed.
Soundtrack: Josh Ritter, Hello Starling